Friday, February 22, 2013

Maps, sketches and doodles

For the past two years, I've been in a weekly game of D&D with a group of guys (and the occasional girl) out at the FLGS.  During those games, I doodle...a lot.  I'm a big fan of map making, but just as often I'll doodle whatever's going on in the current game or a picture of my character or whatnot.  I don't concentrate very well if I'm not doing something else...I'm one of those people that can't just sit down and watch tv, I've got to be doing something else at the same time.

This is one of those doodles.  In the spirit of the web and the OSR community, I wholeheartedly and unabashedly steal from other  peoples' styles that I like.  Dyson Logo's maps are a great insipration...his crosshatching has become my favorite fill style by far (as an aside, he has a book of maps for sale...I grabbed two copies, including the limited release hardback, this Christmas).  Heather Souliere's site had this post awhile back that was a direct inspiration for the map above.

I dig playing around with shading, shapes, figures, etc.  Probably the original inspiration for most of us, Tolkien, is the style of world maps that I enjoy drawing the most.  This one, at left, is based on locations described in the Magic: The Gathering expansion Innistrad.  I've been meaning to come up with a good campaign based on Innistrad for awhile, something that mixes good Ravenloft gothic horror with the tone (werewolves and vampires vs. the rest of human society) and magic system of M:TG, and I think I have one.  I'll write that up in another post, but for anyone interested in the meantime check out the Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad, a great background guide to the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment